If your business is looking to buy plastic extrusion equipment, you have a few things to consider. What type of extruder you need, where you will buy it from, and how you will pay for it are all types of questions you should ask. You want to make the right purchase decision rather than a rash one.
Don’t know where to start? Here are the basics of how to buy plastic extrusion equipment so you can make a well-informed purchase decision aligned to meet the needs of your business!
What is Plastic Extrusion Equipment?
Plastic extrusion is: “The transformation of solid plastic mass converted into a shape that can be used as produced or converted into usable products.” This process is frequently used in today’s plastics industry because of its relatively low cost yet high production rates. Plastic extrusion equipment is often used to produce items such as drinking cups or food storage containers, pipes/tubing, fencing, window frames, plastic films and sheeting, thermoplastic coatings, and wire insulation.
Extruders may be divided into two general categories:
- Single screw extruders
- Twin screw extruders
How to Buy Plastic Extrusion Equipment
If your business is looking to buy plastic extrusion equipment, you have a few options. One is to purchase new equipment directly from extrusion equipment manufacturers. Brand new equipment has a variety of advantages: it will be equipped with the latest safety features and capabilities as well as a warranty—but plastic extruder machine manufacturers will also come with a heftier price tag.
Therefore, if you’re looking to acquire plastic extrusion equipment more cost-effectively, you may want to look for a used plastic extruder machine for sale. There are numerous places to purchase used plastic extrusion equipment from, such as:
- Used equipment dealerships
- Directly from other companies or resellers
- Plastic machinery auctions
You also have a third option—a refurbished extruder. A refurbished extruder is a used piece of equipment but may have been painted, tested, inspected, and retrofitted to look and feel like a new machine.
Average Plastic Extruder Machine Price
The price of plastic extrusion equipment will depend on where you purchase it from and what your needs are. Depending on the size and capabilities of the equipment, it could cost you anywhere between $50,0000 for a small single screw lab extruder to well over a million for a large high-speed twin screw extruder. Don’t forget to consider the costs of shipping/delivery and installation when you’re creating a budget for plastic extrusion equipment.
Payment Options for Purchasing Plastic Extrusion Equipment
Purchasing plastic extrusion equipment can be a large investment for your business. However, there are a few different payment options and ways to offset these costs, including:
- Purchasing the equipment outright. This option requires a large up-front investment, but you won’t be responsible for paying additional interest over time. Plus, you’ll own the equipment immediately without having a third-party lender or dealership involved.
- Purchasing the equipment with financing. With this option, a lender will pay the full price of the equipment up-front on your behalf. You will then be responsible for paying them back for the original amount borrowed monthly, plus interest. This allows you to pay for the equipment over time rather than all at once, but you won’t own the machine yourself until all payments (including interest) have been paid in full back to the lender.
- Leasing the equipment. If you only have a short-term need for the plastic extrusion equipment or just aren’t ready to commit to the costs of owning one yourself, leasing may be the right option for you. It allows you to pay for the equipment monthly for a set period of time (usually between 6 months and 3 years), after which the equipment will be returned to the owner or dealership (or you may get the option to extend the lease or purchase the equipment for a discounted price).
There you have it—the basics of purchasing plastic extrusion equipment. Ready to find the equipment that is right for you?
At PlastiWin, we offer a variety of extrusion equipment solutions. You can get quotes on hundreds of products from PlastiWin Capital by reaching out to one of our experts today! We look forward to the opportunity to provide you with quality plastic process equipment your business needs.